Our super fast development cycles and the convoluted nature of our product gave rise to the ideology of development kits. We thought of the entire product as a complex organism and then broke things down to atoms and molecules - and thus multiple development kits were born - we had an UI Kit, Network Kit, Online Ordering Kit, Image Handling kit…you get the idea.
This version saw a major cleanup of our code into functional and robust libraries and development kits - such was the ease of usage of the kits that we even tied up with a Snapdeal, Helpchat and the likes by providing them with our Online Ordering kit. Read more about this here and here.
Major changes in this version also included the following-
- Complete backward combatibility with Marshmallow - With the release of Android 6.0 major code changes were needed to make sure every aspect of the app worked fine.
- The app size came under 10 Mb for the first time in two years!
- New Image Filters! - watch this space Instagram! ahem! And guess what, we open sourced it - Read more about it on Zomato’s Engineering blog and fork it on GitHub!
- Invited by Google to be one of world’s first 20 products to integrate Google Now cards.
- Moved from multiple tabs on Home to a single tab app with importance to the Hamburger menu.
- Integration with Uber.
Here are some screens from this version-
New Home Page with the Hamburger menu
Photo Upload Flow with the new Image Filters
Search with Map view and List view